In 2019, www.lithuania.travel created a map featuring twenty unexpected flavours, starting with orange soup and finishing off with a hay curd. In Druskininkai, the title of unexpected taste was granted to nettle ice cream which is made and sold in the Velvetti restaurant.
The restaurant’s hosts ensure that the nettles being used for ice cream production are harvested in the ecological surroundings of Druskininkai.
Named in The GASTROliavimas Guide (which title is derived from the words gastro and touring), the route invites one to travel around Lithuania looking for the most original dishes. And these are abundant in every region in Lithuania.
In addition, gourmand fiestas, ie. gastronomic events, take place all year round in one place or another in Lithuania:
- “Vegfest LT”, Vilnius | June @VegFestLT
- “Open Kitchen”, Vilnius & Kaunas | all summer @openkitchenlt
- Herb Collection Championship, Švenčionys | June www.infosvencionys.lt
- Šakotis Tree Cake Baking Championship , Kaišiadorys | June @kaisiadorys
- Žagarė Cherry Festival, Žagarė | July zagaresvysniufestivalis.lt
- Blueberry Festival, Lekėčiai, Šakių r. | July @melynes
- Vilnius Burger Fest, Vilnius | July @vilniusburgerfest
- Cheese Festival, Druskininkai | August @suriufestivalis
- Honey Festival, Stripeikių k., Ignalinos r. | August biciumuziejus.lt
- Cabbage Festival “Kopūstinė”, Trakai | August trakai-visit.lt
- “Le diner en blanc”, Vilnius | August @DinerEnBlanc.Vilnius
- Fish Soup Cooking Championship, Šilutė | September siluteinfo.lt
- Mushroom Feast, Varėna | September gamtosritmu.lt
- Apple Festival “Obuolinės”, Anykščiai | September infoanyksciai.lt
- Fisherman’s Festival, Juodkrantė | September lrezoskc.lt
- Lithuanian Gastronomy Week, Vilnius | November @gastrosavaite
The number of mouth-watering events being held in the regions around Lithuania is increasing every year: in the autumn various festivals are also held, such as Kleckai (Joniškis District), Spanguolinė (Rokiškis District), the Pumpkin Festival (Druskininkai), the Bread and Kugelis festivals (Šakiai District), and so on. You will be able to find more information about all of these events by visiting the regional tourism centres.
- Smelt Festival “Trauk stintelę”, Palūšė, Ignalinos r. | February @AukstaitijaNationalPark
- Smelt Festival “Stintapūkis”, Nida | February visitneringa.com
- Smelt Festival “Palangos stinta”, Palanga | February palangatic.lt
- Vilnius Coffee Festival, Vilnius | February @vilniuscoffeefestival2019
- Vimba Festival “Žiobrinės”, Neringa | April visitneringa.com
- Gyromitra Festival “Bobausių šventė”, Naujieji Valkininkai, Varėnos raj. | April @varenosnaujienos
- Asparagus Festival, Žalgirių k., Ukmergės raj. | April @GenutesUogaine
- Vimba Festival “Žiobrinės”, Kriūkų k., Šakių raj. | May sakiaitic.lt